Recipe tried and tested by Pamela Mkhungo.
This bread doesn’t require an oven as it gets cooked using a saucepan and steamer on top of the stove.
- 200g sugar
- egg white
- 4 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups warm water or any way best suited
- 11 g sachet instant yeast
- 3 pinches of salt
- Mix the flour, sugar, water, yeast and salt to form a loose dough. Knead the dough for 10 minutes by gripping it and slapping it against the side of the mixing bowl. Put the dough into a clean, greased plastic bag and knot closed. Place in a warm area for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Place a steamer over a saucepan of simmering water. Put the bag containing the dough inside the steamer and steam for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the saucepan and cover with a tablecloth and place in an open bowl.
Variety serving sides
You may also like to try these traditional recipes:
by Pamela Mkhungo:
RECIPE: Ujeqe (steam bread)
RECIPE: Isgwaqane (maize meal and sugar beans)
RECIPE: Add this flavoursome fried rice to your menu
Get creative with spinach and pepper stuffed salmon dish
Traditional creamy cheese samp
Tantalise your taste buds with a delicious milk tart
Sumptuous slow roast lamb recipe
Warm up with this simple chicken and dumpling recipe
DID YOU KNOW?
Click on the words highlighted in red to read more on this and related topics.
To receive news links via WhatsApp, send an invite to 061 694 6047
The South Coast Sun is also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest – why not join us there?
Do you have more information pertaining to this story?
Feel free to let us know by commenting on our Facebook page or you can contact our newsroom on 031 903 2341 and speak to a journalist.
(Comments posted on this issue may be used for publication in the Sun)