- 200g butter, chopped
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 10ml espresso coffee powder
- 30ml + 5ml cocoa powder
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 60ml boiling water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 180g castor sugar
- 180g ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm or 22cm springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Place the butter, chocolate, espresso coffee powder, 30ml cocoa powder, vanilla essence and boiling water in a pan and heat gently, stirring, for about 4–5 minutes, or until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the egg yolks and castor sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until, thickened, pale and creamy.
- Carefully stir the ground almonds and chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- In a separate, spotlessly clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and carefully fold into the chocolate mixture using a metal spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and bake for 40–50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely, before transferring the cake to a serving plate.
- Lightly dust the top with the remaining 5ml cocoa powder. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream, crème fraiche or ice cream, and seasonal fruits or berries, if desired.
Garden and Home