WE welcome our pets into our homes with the intention of caring for them and sharing a wonderful bond.
However, without knowing it, we could be putting them at risk.
Just because certain foods are good for us does not automatically make them safe for your pet.
Foods that should never be given to your pets include chocolate, coffee and caffeine, grapes and raisins, onions, garlic, leeks, and chives, alcohol, xylitol, and various fruit and vegetable pips.
Both prescription and over-the-counter medication pose a risk, including herbal and natural variations. Always keep your medicine cupboard well out of reach of pets and safely secured.
The same goes for medication that’s been specifically prescribed to your pet. Medication should never be administered without veterinary guidance and should only be given in accordance with the dosage and duration indicated by your vet, for the original ailment to the pet being treated.
Gardening products, especially herbicides, garden pesticides and fungicides, are extremely dangerous. Store these out of reach of pets and ensure they are safe for pets if being used in the spaces your pets occupy. Protect pets from these products when in use should the product warn against contact.
Many of the products that we use to clean our home should never be ingested by us or our pets. Use within the home is generally safe, provided the product instructions are followed but storage should be inaccessible.
Plants have varying toxicity levels. Educate yourself on which are most toxic and steer clear of planting these outdoors or keeping them indoors.
According to the PetMD website, the 10 most common plants which are poisonous to dogs are:
- Dieffenbachia (dumb cane)
- Kalanchoe (mother-in-law plant)
- Sago palm
To read more on these plants and to see what they look like, visit the PetMD website
Containing numerous chemicals, various household and maintenance items are potentially hazardous, such as fire lighters and paints. Store and use with care.
Poisons used to control insects and rodents are potentially lethal to our pets. These items should be kept well away from pets and should be used and stored according to the instructions only.
(Information from the Pet Food Industry Association of Southern Africa )
Original article on South Coast Herald