It’s been a few years since the enforcement of the new by-laws. Details of the by-laws first emerged in late 2015.
So to refresh your memory, small actions like hanging items on walls, balconies and verandas can get you a fine according to the eThekwini Municipality: Nuisances and Behaviour in Public Places By-law:
Some laws involve the public and what you can’t do:
- Perform any sexual act
- Appear in the nude or expose his or her genitalia
- Consume any liquor or be in a state of intoxication
- Use any drugs or be under the influence of drugs
- Solicit or importune any person for the purpose of prostitution, human trafficking or other illegal business
- Engage in gambling or wagering
- public service infrastructure
- Communal services infrastructure such as, but not limited to, overhead wires, storm water drainage or sewerage system
- Become a source of annoyance, danger, inconvenience or discomfort to persons using a .
Hanging of items on fences, walls, balconies or verandas
- Over a fence or wall which borders the verge of a
- On premises in such a manner that it is visible from a
- On a balcony or veranda in such a manner that it is visible from a .