Following National Burns Awareness Week (6 to 12 May), ER24 is urging people to be safe at all times when trying to stay warm, especially with winter fast approaching.
Unfortunately, trying to keep warm during winter does present itself with certain risks such as fires, gas leaks and so on. It is not uncommon for emergency personnel to get called out to residential fires, especially during winter. In many cases, paramedics treat people for smoke inhalation or severe burn injuries.
The prevalence of fires within informal settlements increases over the colder months. Gas heaters and open flames in small rooms are common causes of fires in informal settlements. Residents are urged to take special care. Fires can spread rapidly due to the flammable materials used to build these houses. Fires also spread easily as a result of the close proximity of the houses.
READ ALSO: Do’s and don’ts of fire safety
General fire safety:
* Keep matches and lighters in a place that can’t be accessed by children.
* Candles are a common cause of residential fires. Do not leave a candle burning if you go to bed or leave the property. Also, never leave children unattended near a lit candle or any fire for that matter.
* Never start a fire or use a heater while intoxicated.
* Never sleep with a lit cigarette in your hand. Also, never discard lit cigarettes in areas that could easily be set alight, such as a veld or dustbin.
* Do not leave fireplaces unattended. Stray embers may cause a fire.
* Never use an open fire, stove or a heater to dry clothes or shoes.
* Ensure electric blankets are in a good working condition. Also check that there are no tears or wires exposed. Do not leave it on unattended.
* Always keep a window open to ensure adequate ventilation when using an indoor fireplace or gas heater.
* It is advisable to have a small household fire extinguisher nearby. Ensure that the whole household knows how to use it.
READ ALSO: What to do if your car catches fire
What to do if you sustain burn wounds:
* People with extensive burn wounds need to be transported to a hospital as soon as possible.
* Emergency services should be contacted immediately.
* For minor burns, run clean, cool tap water over the burn for at least 10 to 20 minutes.
* If arms and legs are affected, try to elevate the limb to decrease the swelling.
Any large surface area burns surrounding the mouth, nose, neck and throat or general facial area should be treated as an emergency.
What not to do if you sustain burn wounds:
* Do not pop or remove blisters.
* Do not put ice on the burn/s.
* Do not use home remedies like coffee, butter, toothpaste, mustard, soy sauce and milk. The patient stands a greater chance of infection and further wound damage if these substances are used.
DID YOU KNOW?
Click on the words highlighted in red to read more on this and related topics.
To receive news links via WhatsApp, send an invite to 061 694 6047
The South Coast Sun is also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest – why not join us there?
Do you have more information pertaining to this story?
Feel free to let us know by commenting on our Facebook page or you can contact our newsroom on 031 903 2341 and speak to a journalist.
(Comments posted on this issue may be used for publication in the Sun)