THIS Sunday, 21 June is Father’s Day. What have you planned to make your dad’s day special.
Here are some ideas:
1. Help dad enjoy the day:
- Make him breakfast in bed.
- Take him the newspaper to read in bed.
- Make his favourite pot of coffee.
2. Make it a family event:
- Get everyone together for a fun day.
- Head to the beach.
- Celebrate in the local park.
- Head to dad’s favourite spot.
3. Build the celebration around an activity everyone can enjoy:
- Have a family picnic.
- Enjoy a braai.
- Take dad to a favourite sporting event.
- Go fishing together.
- Play golf together.
4. Be creative:
Let your creative abilities shine and make him something special.
- Bake a cake.
- Make his favourite dinner.
- Make a gift basket and fill it with homemade candles, cookies, crossword or other puzzles you have created yourself, hand-crafted woodwork objects.
- If you are artistic, draw or paint a portrait of your dad from a favourite photo or memory.
- Write a poem.
- Write a song and perform it.
5. Celebrate your shared experiences:
- Look at old photos of you and your dad doing fun things together.
- Take a walk down memory lane by creating a photo album or slideshow.
6.Acknowledge the importance of fatherhood:
A thoughtful card, a letter or short speech that expresses your love will benefit both you and your dad.
- Make a handmade card.
- Write a letter.
- Write a speech or prepare a toast.
- Have all your siblings explain why dads matter to them.
7. Make the day joyful:
- The most important aspect of the day is that you are are present and attentive.
- It does not take material things to make a dad happy.
8. End the fun-filled day by telling your father you love him:
- Don’t forget a hug and a kiss.