Discarded bait costs dog owner over R10,000

Gizmo is recovering at home after eating two hooks that were discarded with some bait at Toti Main Beach on Thursday, 7 June.

Local fishermen are reminded of the dangers of dumping their used tackle on the beaches, after a dog ingested hooks lying among discarded bait. Resident Edward Rice had to fork out over R10,000 in vet bills after his yorkie Gizmo ate two hooks that were discarded among some bait at Toti Main Beach on Thursday, 7 June.

“One hook was caught in his throat and the other in his stomach. He had to have surgery for the vet to remove the hooks and he is lucky to be alive,” said Edward. “Fortunately the operation went well and we picked him up Friday afternoon. He will take a while to mend but we are just happy he is home and OK.

The contents of Gizmo’s stomach with the discarded hooks and bait.

I went for a run on the beach again on Monday (11 June), without the dogs this time, and saw the same car guard who pointed out to me that Gizmo had something stuck in his mouth last week. He showed me exactly where the bait had been lying (when Gizmo ate it) next to the bench at the parking lot in line with Nyoni Rocks. There is a bin about four metres away, so there was no excuse to discard old bait and tackle on the floor. It is simply a case of inconsiderate laziness.

READ ALSO: Additional fishing line bins placed at Winklespruit Beach

With the sardine season picking up, there are plenty of fishermen on the shore and we are seeing more and more discarded tackle. My colleague took a photo while snorkelling the other day of a dead giant kingfisher, tangled up in fishing line and I have seen woolly-necked storks recently in Toti with fishing line knotted around their legs.”

 

DID YOU KNOW?
Click on the words highlighted in red to read more on this and related topics.
To receive news links via WhatsApp, send an invite to 061 694 6047
The South Coast Sun is also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest – why not join us there?

Do you have more information pertaining to this story?
Feel free to let us know by commenting on our Facebook page or you can contact our newsroom on 031 903 2341 and speak to a journalist.

(Comments posted on this issue may be used for publication in the Sun)

  AUTHOR
Earl Baillache
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Furry Facts – Osteoarthritis in pets

Thanks for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

South Coast Sun
Southlands Sun


Get regular news updates sent directly to your inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites

SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter

SELECT your titles:

South Coast Sun
Southlands Sun

Get regular news updates sent directly to you inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

Subscribe Here
1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
Your details:


Your friends: