How to report a crime

If you are a victim of crime, you must report the incident at the nearest South African police station.

The police will open a case docket and investigate the crime.

You can also report crime anonymously by calling 08600-10111 or call 10111 for crime emergencies. This service is available 24 hours.

If police officials attend the crime scene, they will obtain a statement from you and witnesses if possible. The police official will register the case in the SAPS Crime Administration System (CAS) at the police station. The complainant will receive a CAS number via SMS or telephonically, which needs to be kept as reference for future enquiries regarding the criminal case.

If you visit the local police station to report a crime, you will be attended to in the Community Service Centre by a police official, who will first interview and then take a statement from you. The reported crime will be registered in the CAS. You will be given a CAS number which must be used for all enquiries regarding the reported case.

The completed case docket is allocated to a police detective who will carry out the investigation. All enquiries can be directed to the detective.

The detective in charge of the particular case will complete the investigation and present the docket to the relevant court for prosecution. The detective will keep you informed of any progress including when to attend the court hearings, if applicable.


Click on the words highlighted in red to read more on this and related topics.
To receive news links via WhatsApp, send an invite to 061 694 6047
The South Coast Sun is also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest – why not join us there?

Do you have more information pertaining to this story?
Feel free to let us know by commenting on our Facebook page or you can contact our newsroom on 031 903 2341 and speak to a journalist.

(Comments posted on this issue may be used for publication in the Sun)

Latest from South Coast Sun