For those who don’t know, coconut oil is a type of waxy solid at room temperature that becomes oily when it’s heated up in your hands or if it has been sitting in a hot room.
Essentially, coconut oil is a sort of Holy Grail of natural products that is good for your skin, hair, nails, cooking, wood polish, dog care, and more.
You can do so much with it. Many of this amazing natural substance’s uses you’re probably aware of. But nevertheless, you may pick up a few new ones or just be reminded how important it is to have coconut oil at home.
These are 11 things this cheap, natural product can do:
1. Moisturiser: Whether it’s on your face, body or hands, coconut oil is a fantastic moisturiser. Rub a little bit between your hands and it will instantly become an oil that you can rub all over. Though it’s greasy at first, it will quickly absorb into your skin and nails.
2. Make up remover: Apply coconut oil all over your face before wiping it off with cotton wool or a wipe. It’s one of the most effective make up removers.
3. Acne: Coconut oil has antibacterial properties which can help with acne break outs.
4. Treating infections, bug bites and bruises: Coconut oil has Monolaurin, which is said to be good for fighting bug bites. It also has anti-fungal properties and many natural health websites say that it can help with scratches, bug bites, infections, and even to help alleviate bruises.
5. Body scrub: Some beauty bloggers add white or brown sugar to their coconut oil for a make-your-own body scrub.
6. Leave-in conditioner or a hair mask: Coating your hair in coconut oil and letting it rest for 10-20 minutes or even overnight, will let follicles soak up as much moisture as possible. The result is shiny, thick and very soft hair (just make sure you really rinse out all the greasy oil).
7. Shaving cream: Not only is it very nourishing, but the water will roll right off the oil so it keeps protecting your skin while you shave.
8. Cooking oil: If you’re using coconut oil for beauty as well as for cooking, I’d recommend keeping one jar in the bathroom and second jar in the kitchen. Coconut oil is good as a substitute for any other cooking oil and YouTube star Jenna Marbles freezes it into ice cube trays to use in smoothies. It can also be used to replace butter.
9. Energy boost and health supplement: Many health blogs claim that coconut oil is also a natural energy boost that will also keep you full for longer. Many people truly rely on it as a part of their diet.
10. Wood, leather or metal polish: Simply take a little bit of coconut oil, and rub it into your table, scuffed leather goods or any metal surface. Buff with a cloth to a shine. Easy-peasy.
11. Pet care: Whether it’s for a dry nose, cracked paws, or coat conditioner, coconut oil is a natural product to use for conditioning your pets. It’s also safe for them to eat so you won’t worry if they lick it off (some pet owners even purposefully put it into pet food).