We may be aware of the nutritional benefits of our loved avocados, but what about the huge pip that you hastily scoop out.
In case you missed this: 10 reasons to indulge in avocados
I bet you didn’t know that you were tossing out the most nutritious part of this super food.
Ten nutritional benefits of not the avocado – but its pip:
- No less than 70 per cent of the avocado’s amino acids are concentrated in its pip. Its oil reduces cholesterol and helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- The avocado pip is one of the foods with the highest concentration of soluble fibre, suitable for improving intestinal transit.
- Its phenolic compounds contribute to the prevention of gastric ulcers.
- It also helps fight diarrhea.
- The nutrients present strengthen the immune system, making us less likely to fall ill.
- Its high antioxidant content slows cellular ageing and increases the amount of collagen in the skin, providing a rejuvenating effect.
- Provides shine and strength to the hair and prevents the appearance of dandruff.
- Frequently consumed, it calms joint and muscle pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Glutathione, also present in avocado pip, is a good natural supplement to treat asthma.
- Its contribution of fibre and good fats causes a satiating effect, helping us to lose weight.
How to eat it:
Before grating, you must remove the layer of dark skin. With the shavings, you can make infusions or add it directly to salads, stews, pastas, etc. Try to consume it in moderation. In large quantities, it can cause constipation.
For topical uses:
- Mash the seed and mix with alcohol, then let it sit for a week. This can be used to massage muscles or sore joints.
- With the seed powder, you can also prepare ointments: mix with hot water to create a paste, place this paste between two pieces of gauze and apply it on the skin, for 5 to 10 minutes. It is very effective for treating acne and skin boils.
- For your hair, make a mixture of raw seed with castor oil and let it macerate for a day. Massage your scalp with this mixture, then cover with a towel and let it sit for an hour.
- Finally, for exfoliation, you can directly use the powder of the ground seed on your skin.